Friday, December 14, 2012

Crazy year

In all honesty, I am excited for this year to come to an end. Its been a crazy one with A LOT of changes and A LOT of uncertainty. But I finally feel like we are in a place where we can breathe for a second and finally start moving towards the goals we want to accomplish in our future. Since I have been really bad about writing anything down lately, let me just clarify what our year looked like.
January: We left Hawaii, one of the hardest choices we had to make, and moved to San Diego with no job and no place to live
April: Scotty got a job as a manager for a construction company and we finally got to move into our own place in Encinitas, we fell in LOVE with our house and the city and felt at home for the first time in a long time
June: Scotty's job ended up being a disaster and he had to quit, leaving us unemployed again. We were really blessed and got lots and lots of side jobs for the next couple of months which kept us afloat
August: New job opportunity comes up at a digital marketing firm, totally different experience for the husband but he was learning so much and enjoying a new field, we thought this was it, this was the job he would be at for the next several years. Wrong again!
September: Ellie turns one and my whole life changes with a toddler!
November: Our friends from Encinitas move to Thousand Oaks, about three hours away from San Diego for a new job, about two weeks later Scotty gets call saying there is a job at the company that would be perfect for him. The pay was more, his schedule would be flexible and he could do something he loved. I laughed at first, and shrugged it off, no way was I moving again. But after another talk with our friend, Scotty was convinced this job was perfect for him. He called me from work and before he even said the words I knew we were moving. I started bawling right away. I love Encinitas, LOVE it. Next to Hawaii I couldn't think of a better place to live. I had never even been to Thousand Oaks and we were all the sudden moving in less than two weeks.
December: Here we are! In a new house, in a new place, with all new people. The ocean is 20-25 min away, we have never lived that far from the beach since we have been married. Ellie spent almost every day of her first year of life on the sand and in the water and she is like a little fish out of water here. I really like my new house, and I like being able to decorate and make it ours. I am not in love with Thousand Oaks, its been a hard adjustment but we are getting through it. The upside, Scotty loves his job. He is a construction superintendant for a real estate, restoration and management company. They buy houses, fix them up and rent them out. He is busy, the phone is always ringing and he is all over the place. But thats just what he likes, to keep moving! And Ellie and I are trying to figure out what it is that people do when they don't have the beach and how to find our way around a place that is so spread out!
It has been a crazy year, especially with a baby, but we learned a lot and we feel like every move we made led us up to this point and even though it might not be where we would have chosen, its where we are for now and we are trying to see it as an adventure. So heres to change! And heres to hoping we have a little less in 2013, though I am not planning on it!

6 comments: